Please sign and mail this to: "The Cappies Inc., 7252 Evans Mill Rd, McLean, VA 22101"
Please submit an Online Charter Application, via Cappies Information Services (CIS), before submitting this Written Charter Application.
Program Name: __________________________________________ Program Year: ____________
Three-Letter Program Code: _______________ EIN (US Only): _____________________________
Geographical Boundaries: ___________________________________________________________
In consideration of the request for a Charter from The Cappies, Inc., Charter applicants described above (hereinafter “Cappies Program”) agree as follows:
- The Cappies Program is organized exclusively for charitable, educational and literary purposes as defined in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding section of any future federal tax code. The specific purposes of Cappies Program are to teach high school students to critique theater and thereby to teach writing across the curriculum, to encourage high school theater students to see each others’ plays and thereby to broaden their theatrical knowledge, to provide constructive criticism of high school dramatic performances and thereby improve theater, to educate the general public as to the quality of high school theater, to encourage interest in the theatrical arts, including technical skills related to the theater, to enhance the public recognition of high school theater teachers, and to achieve other purposes of an exclusively charitable, educational and/or literary nature not inconsistent with those listed above.
- No part of the net earnings of the Cappies Program will inure to the benefit of, or be distributable to its members, trustees, officers, or other private persons, except that the association shall be authorized and empowered to pay reasonable compensation for services rendered and to make payments and distributions in furtherance of the purposes set forth in Article Third hereof. No substantial part of the activities of the Cappies Program will be the carrying on of propaganda, or otherwise attempting to influence legislation, and the association shall not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distribution of statements) any political campaign on behalf of or in opposition to any candidate for public office. Notwithstanding any other provision of these articles, the Cappies Program will not carry on any other activities not permitted by a corporation exempt from federal income tax under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding section of any future federal tax code.
- Upon the dissolution of the Cappies Program, assets will be distributed for one or more exempt purposes within the meaning of section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or the corresponding section of any future federal tax code, or shall be distributed to the federal government, or to a state or local government, for a public purpose. Any such assets not so disposed of shall be disposed of by a court of competent jurisdiction of the county in which the principal office of the corporation is then located, exclusively for such purposes or to such organization or organizations, as said court shall determine, which are organized and operated exclusively for such purposes.
- The Cappies Program agrees to abide by the charter restrictions set forth in paragraph 1, and to comply with the Cappies Rules, as they may be, from time to time, promulgated or amended by The Cappies, Inc., and to operate its Cappies program in strict conformity thereto.
- The Cappies Program agrees to protect the Cappies trademark.
- The Cappies Program agrees to apply to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service for educational or charitable status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, within two years of the date of this Charter Application, as a condition for the extension of the Charter for a third year.
- The Cappies Program agrees to operate its program with the utmost regard for the health, safety and welfare of all student participants, and to indemnify and hold harmless The Cappies, Inc., from any and all claims that may arise as the result of any intentional or negligent act on the part of Cappies Program or any person under its control.
The Cappies Program understands and agrees that any violation of the above agreement constitutes grounds for suspension or termination of this Charter. The undersigned Chair, by his/her signature, attests that the proposed Steering Committee of Cappies Program has reviewed the terms of this Charter and has agreed thereto.
Signature of Chair Date
- The charter fee is $350 for all programs for each participating year.
- The per-critic fee is $10 for all critics for each participating year.
_____ No member of the proposed steering committee has been convicted of, or is presently charged with, any felony offense.
_____ A signed Affirmation to this effect is included, for every Member of the Steering Committee who is not currently employed as a teacher or administrator at a Participating School, or in a school system that includes a Participating School.
_____ A signed Endorsement is included, from an administrator at a Participating School, for the Chair and/or Program Director, if this person did not hold this position during the prior Program Year, and is not currently employed as a teacher or administrator at a Participating School, or in a school system that includes a Participating School.
Agreement to Follow Rules:
_____ As a Chartered Cappies Program, we agree to follow, and require all Schools, Advisors, Theater Directors, Mentors, Critics, and other Program Participants to follow, all Rules and Procedures.
We hereby request a Charter for a Cappies Program, for the geographical region designated in this Charter Application.
Signature of Program Chair Date
(on behalf of the Steering Committee of the Program)